A convenient alternative to conventional dosage forms
Offering ease of use and convenience, orally disintegrating tablets (ODTs) have become a preferred dosage form for consumers worldwide for medications in a variety of therapeutic areas. These include traditional over-the-counter (OTC) medicines such as ibuprofen and acetaminophen, well-established prescription drugs such as montelukast and olanzapine, and a variety of other drugs for indications such as sleeplessness, erectile dysfunction, and migraine.
Why use ODT tablets?
An oral disintegrating tablet is a solid-dosage form that disintegrates in the mouth without water in 30 seconds or less, thereby increasing convenience and compliance for a broad range of indications and patient types—including young and elderly patients who may have difficulty swallowing or chewing a conventional tablet, active people who prefer the convenience of taking an ODT tablet that does not require water, and travelers or patients in locations with a limited or unreliable supply of safe water.
Orally disintegrating tablets offer a variety of benefits for both patients and manufacturers, making the ODT tablet dosage form a versatile option for many applications.
Benefits of ODT tablets for patients and caregivers
- Allows accurate dosing—no risk of liquid spills
- Improved patient compliance—easier to take or administer than conventional tablets or liquid forms
- Ideally suited for non-ambulatory patients and those with difficulty swallowing or chewing
- More convenient than other dosage forms—easy to swallow, requires no water, and offers quicker onset of therapeutic action for some drugs
The Pharmaburst® ODT platform from SPI Pharma offers rapid oral disintegration and smooth mouthfeel. Used in conjunction with our taste masking technology, it can improve the taste and texture of many actives.
Benefits of ODT tablets for manufacturers
- A cost-effective way to extend your drug's life cycle—a new ODT tablet formulation can create a branded, differentiated line extension
- Gain entry into new markets and patient populations Better stability than liquid dosage forms
- Help meet the growing demand for more patient-friendly and compliant dosage forms
Our Pharmaburst ODT platform can be used to produce a taste-masked oral disintegrating tablet with high palatability and rapid disintegration for low-dose and high-dosage products (up to 500 mg).
In addition, our fully formulated and balanced Pharmaburst© 500 system for ODT tablets is ready to use and requires no new tableting machinery or additional ingredients. We invite you to learn more about our Pharmaburst ODT platform and how it can be easily integrated into your current operations.
At SPI Pharma, we understand the challenges posed by patient noncompliance, accurate dosing, and stability issues. By partnering with us, you can also access our unparalleled experience and capabilities to solve your related formulation issues, such as our expertise in taste-masking and our Pharmasolutions drug development service.
Contact us today to find out how ODT technology can improve your product's formulation—and take your business to a higher level.